Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"Gen Y" and "Rushing"

My boss once told me a very intriguing statement (at least to me), that in short, gen Y is known for their eagerness to grow and develop in a (seriously) timely manner. What it means is simply that gen Y likes to rush things. That's why it's so normal to see young executives these days, compared to gen X (my mom and above) jump from one career path to another one; or simply move from one company to another in such a short amount of time. I am not generalizing here, I am just thinking out loud. 

It could be because the current education system has severe problem in preparing their students to the workforce so then they could not sense what is "reality" in the office, neither with tools to handle the problems. 

Or, it might be because of the advanced technology that pamper us with a lot of instant results and ease of life. 

Or..... It might be both... And might be other different possibilities, which I am not willing to argue.

Why do I think so?
1. On the education part
Many people got out of one organization to another because they can't stand their bosses; they can't deal with the learning environment (that may not be challenging enough, or too hierarchical, or too stiff, etc.); they are not happy with the benefits or a bunch of other reasons. The problem I found in many (and perhaps myself), is that there is this big (ego) aspiration to develop a very specialized, amazing skills, but these people do not want to invest to start from zero. They want to be doing what the managerial level people would do, because the hocus-pocus, tiny-bitty, administrative jobs would kill them. 

Unfortunately, there's no "fast track" in achieving that. Everybody needs to go through the rough path because that is what it takes to be in the top position. Well, I know it's not everybody. Some that got lucky, can always go somewhere without doing so much effort. But, I am talking about the majority of the people here: those who need to work hard to get to one beautiful destination (at the end, only 1% of Indonesian people possess the 40% resources of the country). 

So it is damn hard to find people like my mom, who works for more than 25 years in the same company. That was her first and will be her last. Why? Because the gen Y will jump easily when there are better opportunities. Am not saying that's not a human trait, but loyalty seems dubious for the Gen Y. Loyalty is not meant for organization. Instead, some give it to a good cause, some to their own personal benefit. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just... It happened. 

Or maybe it doesn't have anything to do with loyalty. They move just because they know they do have the skills to offer, and they are not willing to compromise that with some office politics or bad bosses. 

2. On the technology part
With the advancement of technology -that has clear objective of putting human lives at ease, and to which the gen Y is somehow attached- they become pampered with all of easy access and instant results. Not to blame them, because at the end conference calls save the time that they will definitely waste with the traffic these days, or the money to travel all the way down to the other part of the world. 

We (the gen Y) get used to find things easily, acquire stuffs effortlessly, that is also backed up with the fact that the baby boomers worked really hard to step up their standard of living (which of course impacted the way gen Y think and behave -- many of them does not really need to work hard to get a Givenchy bag). 

Instant-mindset has become something embedded, even in our unconscious mind, which may be the reason why we like to get instant results in many things we do, including certain position in any organization. Or as simple as a forged relationship that is going well and settled, before taking the time to get to know each other further. We just want to achieve the end goal, without really wanting to enjoy the process (oh, how I am actually talking to myself here).

3. On the combination of both
There's no way we have single clue for every single problem in this complicated era. Everything happens not for a reason, but for a PLENTY of them. So, having the education aspect, also the technology, with a little combination of the so-lame-economic-statement, I guess is a hint in itself. 

***

Well, you never knew how a bitching session in the morning could trigger me to write this so-not-important-thoughts early in the day. But then, it's somehow clear to me, I am not the only one who experienced it. I don't know if it is a girl's problem, but the eagerness to rush a relationship is somehow imminent. 

We are just this uncertain, unstable, confused, with so much extra burden to the head, thinking about the relationship, where it is going to be, and if it was the one we have always wanted. For me, it is more to the "not enjoying the process" and "having to rush to see the end result" that bug me most. I am just lost in the complication of my own thoughts, just because I can't be patient with what I have right now. I am always intrigued to look for what's going to happen tomorrow. 

What a terrible, terrible feeling.

No comments: