Saturday, April 2, 2011

seeds of hope exhibition


Couple of days ago, Min Er dragged me to this exhibition. I did not have any idea of what the exhibition was all about. It came to my surprise that it changed my heart after I went there. It really was an eye-opening program, created by the joint venture of Soka Gakkai International (Buddhist Organization) with The Earth Charter (an international declaration to build a sustainaible generation in 21st century). However, this exhibition was not to doctrine me about Buddha. It was a totally different agenda.

It told me about (1) human interconnection with nature, that we simply can't just live without it and how the nature has always become the part of our soul; (2) global crisis that are happening at the moment : the fact that human selfishness has something to do with the poverty, environmental degradation, and human conflict; (3) the change of heart : we can change the future by having a change of heart first.

Okay, I am not going to blabber or try to advertise the exhibition. I was just inspired. This was where the inspiration got on my nerves.

Looking back at how the nature has changed, we seemed powerless. One, cannot do anything. As youth, what can we do? We then chose to stay in our position : doing nothing. In contrast, the Seeds of Hope opened my eyes by saying, WE SHOULD NEVER LOSE HOPE. We should start from ONE. We should always have the hope, as we change ourselves. They believe, that by starting it from the root, us, and our family, we can motivate a bigger group : our community, then our country, and the world as a whole. And it all starts from ONE.

They even had all of those concrete examples, those who really tried to CHANGE. I am super sorry that I couldn't describe what they have contributed to their community. You can ask for personal email from me :p There were Nick Illaud from Canada, Hazel Handerson, Wangari Maathai (The 2006 Nobel Prize Winner from Africa), Hikori Takeda from Tokyo, Joanna Wilkes from UK, Reto Juvenil from Costa Rica, Rajendra Singh from India, Davoring Brdanovic from Bosnia-Herzegovina. All of them were just examples of people that really made CHANGE in their environment.

Most important thing is, how are we going to do it? People have started. Why don't we start NOW?

There are simple things that we can actually do to change :
EAT MORE VEGETABLES
TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
USE USED PAPER TO PRINT
TAKE BICYCLE
WALK MORE
and many other simple things.

Start with your family, grab your community, and have a hope for bigger one.

Hoaaaa, it's just very hard for me to explain. I hope you understand all of these.
Hereby, I just attached one of the panels displayed in the exhibition. Hope it helps :)


No comments: