Friday, February 24, 2012

Just Wish Me Luck

The invitation from my friend to concept a non-governmental organization together (around environmental issues) got me thinking. There were reasons why I chose to involve in education over other prominent area to fix. In one hand, it was that I love educating people; I love teaching and sharing information with others, particularly with kids and teenagers. The other was because I had always believed in the power of education; how it can change one’s view of a world, how it opens eyes, and how it leads people to success. Although, I was also into economic-deterministic view, I still am confident of the good in education to unravel the mystery of world’s problems.
Yet, my friend explained something that prompted me to a deeper idea. That environment is part of us all but is million times forgotten and taken for granted. That people exploited natural resources for money, but now that the money is as big as the mountain, the amount of circulated money around the world may not be able to recover what have been gone. And we do not know that, or simply ignore the fact.
I then remembered how the now-generation kids were brought up with gadgets, far away from their surroundings, especially what we called gardening, taking care of pets, and all. They might not know how to take care of the environment in the future. So who would?
Unfortunately, our days are not only occupied with the problem of environment. Within social arena, the desolate story of Indonesian worker (mostly female) in countries like Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and others broke my heart deeply. My lecturer at class just told us how badly their life out there. It would be lucky for them not to get raped, or killed. And it would be more than lucky when the salary is given right on time. But, getting abused with hands and any tools are daily breakfast. Not remembering when the last time you sleep, or to be specific, not remembering you sleep was an okayed situation. What a tragedy.
And that was not all. Indonesian children, who cannot afford getting to school (there are nearly 13 million of them), are pushed to work by being beggar, street-singer, newspaper seller, and many indecent activities, especially for kids. They do them all for nothing but to struggle with life. Struggle with the needs to eat, to buy food, and nothing else.
I haven’t mentioned the children who smoke since a very young age, 5 or less or more, I forgot. But they smoke, everyday, and sometimes prefer smoking than eating. They do not know how severe it will treat them in the long run, but they smoke based on believe that it brings them together very comfortably.
To add the spices, well, I just read the news, which stated that 90% of early teenagers (elementary to junior high) had had sex, with some numbers without protection, and ended up executing abortion. I am no judge here, I am not going to say anything. But I mean, isn’t it another problem when young minds like they are dare enough to execute abortion? Wouldn’t it leave trauma? And remember some abortion that will cause damage to the uterus and so on and so forth? So terrifying, indeed!
There, health issues create another problem to solve. So I am no joke when I said Indonesia has a lot to face, right? Feminist action, media literacy, and other things I am interested in, are indifferent. Problems are there, waiting people like us to solve them.
So my friend challenged me yesterday, to take some action, rather than waiting in vain. Well, my biggest problems are that I am not financially independent yet, and that I still live with my so-called-family who although struggle with its ups and downs still live me with role and obligation as a daughter, which I need to comply. You don’t know what kind of situation I am having right now. I want to runaway and help people, but that is only going to create other complications.
I wish I have another life, but hey, that is not appropriate. I just need to bear with this life a little longer, before I have mine. Meanwhile, I am going to equip myself with things that will help me serve others in the future.
Just wish me luck.

1 comment:

Franty Ozora said...

Gadisssssss. Kamu k e r e n sekaliii!!!! Good luck. xoxoxo