Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Does Our Education System Fail Us?

In case you haven't figured it out, I realized how 'aggressive' our Indonesian students who studied abroad are (in a best way). Seriously, too many of them came home and had this idea of setting up their own business -which is amazing and heartwarming at one hand. What makes me itchy is the fact that very few Indonesian students who studied in the local universities actually dared to do just that. Very few of us, dare to take risks just to implement all the business plans created out of a school project (means they had been tested and scored). How many of these business students who are actually out there and do their 'stuffs'? I found too many hiding behind the excuse of 'learning from the corporate first, starting up venture later', 'I need to reserve some capital before starting mg own business', etc. Not many have gone creative to loan some money, pitch an investment, or other plans. They don't even want to make the first move. 

In here, people still think that working for multinational company is the way to go. It's the God of the commercial industries. Well, I am included. Not that I want to work for multinational company, but that I don't dare to take those risks, afraid that being a boss of your own thing is not sexy enough because it's not shining in your CV -at least not as shining as working for "Unilever" or "P&G". Stupid me, you can say. But yes, I still believe that building your entrepreneurship should be your last goal in life. Only after you achieve certain level in your career, then you can start your own, with the knowledge and capital you have. 

I am not sure if it's the system that fails us, or the capital of those studying abroad just got into the process. I am leaning to the first option though, really. Why would you spend 3 years in business school just to end up being someone's slave? True that we can gain something out of working for big corporations, but what's holding us back? Why does the knowledge we gained out of college is not enough to start? Why do the business plans stay in your laptop??

Seriously, there's gotta be something wrong. 

No comments: