Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Curriculum?

Still related to my suspect on our failing education system, I then remember my conversation with Inaya the other day. We started off with discussion on curriculum, how I, a member of one study in the local university, felt it betrayed me for four years I wasted for very little substantial knowledge. Okay, I might not be the most diligent student back then, I skipped many classes, but it's crazy how many classes I attended did not really contribute to my career today. Hey, not that it's not related to my current occupation, but I don't think it's growing me to certain level in the industry. Okay, it might be too early for me to judge, but seriously, I feel like I could skip all the classes, read a book, then came out just fine. 

Am disappointed with the teachers, with the curriculum itself, I was asking if there's a way I could contribute more. To my surprise, Inaya started telling me the whole system that constituted a curriculum. I couldn't imagine something even more complicated, but I am disappointed knowing that it is the broken skeleton that causes all these.

The system, like many bureaucracy, was not meant for effectiveness. No details could do justice to its complication. In the other hand, the leaders (and the rest of the human resources) was so resistant to change they don't allow critical change to take place even though it's freaking necessary for the future. No road map, no blue print. No single-focused goal to achieve. No wonder it's been like super lenient and blurry these whole times. 

I am surprised to the fact that if I really want a curriculum to work, the grinding work needs to start as basic as the skeleton build. A strong, solid foundation needs to be established, but notwithstanding the right people to run it. 

It sounds cliche and so last year, I know. It's just so unbelievable despite all advancement and wind of change. Still a lot to go. But that's exactly why strong leaders are needed in the country. To work their magic and sweep all the filthy (oh how I sound so rude).

No comments: