Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Power of Prayer

The fact that I am deeply emotional, there is no more doubt about it. I cry most of the times I feel sad, weary, touched and else. I almost cry seeing the funeral of Taufik Kiemas, a national figure who dedicated his life striving for the real nationalism, Indonesia as it is imagined by the founding fathers, but had no connection with me whatsoever. Not a colleague, friend, boss, family, nothing, yet I can't help crying like he was somebody I knew personally. 

Oddly enough, I didn't cry when I went to Putri's house yesterday, praying for his father who passed away two days ago. I met his father once, I feel the loss, I feel their loss as a family, I feel the connection since I know Putri for quite sometime too. Nevertheless, I did not cry. Not because I did not feel touched, but simply because that the family was full of joy instead of grievance. They faced the circumstances with smile, with grace and full surrender to God. 

There, they looked in peace, especially Putri, she was just smiling as usual and that warmed my heart. That was the first time I did not let my eyes drown in tears because I also felt delighted with the faith they showcased. It was beyond wonderful. 

I never knew such surrender could impact one's life that much. Apparently, it occurred to this family. Putri's mom told me how she woke up everyday around 3 AM, praying to God, before she started her day at 4.30 AM. Does that sound like a really dedicated son of God? Yes, it does to me. I heard her story, got inspired but also felt ashamed for I was nothing compared to her. 

Now, at least I knew what's the secret behind a strong family despite the grief and loss, it is prayer. And I start to believe in the power of prayer, that led one close relative to one song, that goes as written below.... (used to be my favorite song in junior high)

"Jalan hidup orang benar, diterangi oleh cahaya Firman Tuhan.
Jalan hidup orang benar, semakin terang hingga remang tengah hari. 
Apabila, ia jatuh, tidak akan dibiarkan sampai tergeletak. 
Sebab tangan Tuhan jua yang menopangnya, dan membangunkan dia kembali." 

No comments: