Monday, November 19, 2012

5 Love Languages


Up to my surprise, my colleague at the office suddenly asked me about my reading behavior. I then answered him casually, as I thought it was a casual and random question. The surprising thing was the fact that he gave me a book to read, and the book was about marriage. Okay, how random could that be?

He then explained how the book has helped him and many marriages and how people like I am (whom he assumed would get married) should read this book before tying the knot. 

So yes, I accepted the book with gratitudes and started reading it out of curiosity (I bet you would do the same thing when people offered you something out of that reason). 

And I finished the book, for only within two days. And yes, I felt wonderful, because the idea the book was telling me about is how to love your spouse through his love languages. 

The author explained how the phenomenon of "falling in love" will only last two years at max. Some people lost the spark along the way and they have no feeling of continuing the commitment after that lost. Thus, understanding the couple's love language will help him/her feel the love endurance, and finally be able to love the other person in the relationship back. Thus, both emotional tanks will be filled with love and that's how love lasts until the end of time, as what promised in their wedding day.

There are five universal love languages that Chapman introduced, and those are: words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service and physical touch. Each person develops their own language through their life span therefore they would have certain way to feel loved by their spouse. What we can do to make things better is not to enforce our own language, yet to understand our spouse's and talk to him/her through their language. Although it may be ridiculous to some, yet by doing it, we are trying to show that what she/he likes matters. And that's how you show you love someone. Because it is never about you. It is about the person you love. 

How sweet is that?

...


So I started thinking about my love language. I perhaps would feel loved by words of affirmation. Yet, my secondary language can be quality time. And yes, I began to think about his love language as well. Although I am still unsure about it, I would say acts of service and physical touch matter to him. Well, I still have time to figure it out, right?


No comments: