Monday, February 21, 2011

my dad is a free thinker

That is the term I used, when I tried to explain my dad's religious view to my Singaporean friend.
Yes, it is the term that most of Singaporean familiar with. Actually, the term is not only popular in Singapore, but also other developed countries like United States and European countries, I reckon.

They use the term "free thinker" to explain someone who is regarded as an atheist in Indonesia.
Someone who does not hold any religion, simply because he or she does not believe in God.

This post is not to highlight my dad's religious point of view.
By contrast, this post wants to highlight one point.
A point which explains how a country, through its society, should be more careful in using any term, that might create negative stereotype towards anyone.

Yeah, that is a point I want to achieve.
Question would be, why a term "free thinker" is better then a term "atheist" ?
It conveys the same message. Why is using term should be something important?

Believe me, in this modern world, we try to do our best not to offend people.
Using a right term might be one way to achieve it.
Again, in this modern era, people are more sophisticated.
They are clustered into many divisions, of economy, education, social status, religion, and many else. They have developed different way of thinking methods and all.

If we want to stay a little longer in this kind of world, we need to respect others.
There is no other way to maintain a relationship, than by starting with respect.

Using a right term, or better term, will show respect to one's belief.
Although Indonesia is a "negara beragama", it does not necessarily mean that we all should have one religion. If we should, then it means we are forcing someone to stay in a bogus faith, which is pointless.

It will be better, in my humble opinion, to respect one's decision not to have faith.
And do not look at them as they are criminals.
I said that because I know several people who think that way.

Now, do you get the point why using the term "free thinker" is better?
It is because you see someone as free, he or she is not binded with rules and regulations, in which they chose to do so.
The term atheist somehow pinpoint the idea of emphasizing that theist is the one and only way to live, which is not.

What do you think?

1 comment:

drilyas said...

I am a freethinker too. But in Malaysia, I will be persecuted in Shariah Court because all Malays in this country are considered Muslims. Of course, freethinkers are side-lined in conservative societies (religious people) in any country of the world. Religions (whatever names) are created by Man (elite) to dominate mankind by using God's name and holy books. Freethinkers may or may not belief in God. They are humanists who believe in the brother/sisterhood of mankind, irrespective of race, religion and country. I salute your understanding towards your father's belief.