Sunday, February 16, 2014

Taking Things For Granted

A joke on the Mount Kelud eruption coming out of a mouth of young teenager quickly caught my attention. They were laughing freely when a friend mentioned how diving through the caldera would be challenging compared to casual dive in the water. Despite having no idea how they could laugh on not-so-funny joke, I was overwhelmed by the idea of how people got so used to take things for granted. They did not know how meaningful life could have been, were they victims of the disaster, so that they could make something funny out of the incidents that killed so many, and ruined people's houses and treasures. 

But then a cold war with someone I care about really strucked me into reality, how I, actually took things for granted so many times, sometimes without knowing. These whole times, I have always thought I made so many sacrifices for people till it blinded me to see the sacrifices other people made for me. I got too comfortable having people accepting me for who I am, that made me forgot that in many times, I was rude and disrespectful. 

Taking things for granted has become a specialty people master these days. We forgot that however women try to compete with man, menstrual routine is something that forces women to deal with something differently than men do. We forgot the privileges we have without bothering to see if other people took extra efforts to attain the same thing we have. Surely, there's so many things we forgot. That is exactly how we start taking things for granted and be best at doing it. Because there are just too many blessings to count, and it's simple to regard them as a courtesy. 

Now, I realized what I did wrong. I have been such a selfish bitch my whole life. I did wrong to those I claim to love dearly. I did injustice to those I deeply care about. I took them for granted and it doesn't feel right.

I am sorry.. I truly am.

No comments: