Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Two Cents


No wonder the members of this family grew up selfish. No “Hi” or “Hello” when somebody got in the doorway. No “How were you doing” after a day. We keep most problems to ourselves. Or to our best friends. But not to each other, which I found very miserable.

That is exactly why we tend to be cold to each other, keep saying, “Hey, mind your own business” whenever one tries to be nosy. We don’t really know what’s happening to one another because it just has never been the tradition in the group.

Which sadden me much. As I am no introvert kind of girl. I share most of my problems to my closest – who should have been my family instead of my friends. At least in my humble opinion.

That is also why I feel the eagerness to start up a new family, where I can take care of my children, internalize new habits (the good one of course, according to myself), and live so much better life. Unlike this one. Seriously.

Many people consider me rude, even my boyfriend thinks that way too whenever he caught me talking to my parents. Well, other than I would say “Dude, you don’t live my life so think twice before saying anything…”, I would rather say that is how I express myself and my values.  That is how I emphasize, “I know you’re older and that means something in our society, but that seriously does not mean that you are right in everything you do. Hey, I want to be heard too for what I have to say. And sorry if that means I am selfish because you are too.”

Yeah, call me rude. But even Meilani, one of my closest, said in one dinner with my family, “It is now obvious why you become such a great debater, because you actually practice that first in your family. I have never experiences such heated one before.” I am not trying to correct myself this time. But Meilani also said, how your parents treat you will affect the way you treat them. And probably, that’s what is happening at your house.

Silly, but true. Pardon my schools for having me taught. Pardon my English clubs for having my brain washed. I just simply think that Eastern people like to complicate things, A LOT. Things they shouldn’t bother, they complain (read: my mom). There are plenty of things out there we should discuss. How we can live significant life and so on and so forth, and not how she got panicked when I borrowed her car one night to drive my friend home – when she never did whenever my father sneaked every night with the same car.

Just my two cents, though. 

No comments: